Friday, January 4, 2008

Happy New Year 2008

Well the year has started off. The race is on. I give thanks and praise to the Almighty for letting us experience this new year. May we continue to strive to live aright.

I am blessed! Short yet loaded statement that.

I am thankful for my life, grateful for the people in my life. I have the opportunity to live in this day and age, to have these wonderful people around me. Yes, I am blessed!

I am a proud Nigerian, blessed with a fantastic wife, with wonderful, healthy children. I have no health problems. I am able to walk on the streets with my head held high anywhere in the world. This is not boastful, there are many of us out there. Brilliant, strong, intelligent Nigerians and Africans.

Given, we cannot always look at the goings on in Africa with the level of pride that we want to. That mess really needs sorting out. There are however many of us out there with a vision to make the motherland great as it should be.

I give props to a great individual with vision and the energy and foresight to see it implemented: Dr Mo Ibrahim, founder of Celtel International. Not only has he done great by establishing that company and giving Africa a strong voice but his initiative for African leaders is laudable. He has set up a foundation, The Mo Ibrahim Foundation (www.moibrahimfoundation.org), whose sole aim is to encourage Leadership in Africa. The foundation's index of African Governance is also a veritable ranking of African nations using several parameters. Such forward looking initiatives are required by the world and the continent in particular to remove the existing guess work in the who is who of governance. You can check all this out on the foundation's site earlier quoted. 

The first winner of the Ibrahim Prize for Achievement in African Leadership is the former President of Mozambique. The hope is that this prize will be an incentive for current and future Leaders in Africa to govern with the people in mind, to be positive leaders of their respective countries. By the way, the prize is higher in value than the Nobel prize.

Over to you Leaders in Africa, make your people proud!

No comments: